TEN TIPS TO USE LESS NATURAL GAS AND SAVE ON YOUR ENERGY BILL
Reducing natural gas use at home may contribute to energy savings and it’s better for the environment. Check out these energy-saving tips to help you save on your bill during the cold weather.
- Block the chill: Caulk and weather-strip around drafty doors and windows. Use a door sweep, door sock or towel at the bottom of doors with a gap.
- Keep your furnace and air filters clean: Check furnace filters once a month and replace them regularly. A dirty air filter can increase your energy costs and cause problems with your equipment.
- Set your ceiling fan to run clockwise: This causes the fan to produce an updraft, forcing the hot air that rises to your ceiling down and into the rest of the room. In the summer, you can switch the fans to counterclockwise to keep the room cool.
- Schedule a no-cost gas appliances check with SDG&E: Book an appointment online at sdge.com/MyAccount or learn more at sdge.com/GasCheck.
- Lower your thermostat: Try lowering your thermostat a few degrees and throwing on a cozy sweater and socks or cuddling with your fur baby! You can also invest in a smart thermostat. Rebates are available at sdge.com/rebates.
- Lower your water heater thermostat: Lowering the thermostat on your water heater to 120°F, if possible, will save energy and avoid scalding. Find water heater rebates from $75 to $500 at sdge.com/rebates.
- Use the “energy saver” switch on your dishwasher: Set it on a low temperature setting when feasible. Also, think about turning off the heat drying cycle – you don’t need it! Only run full loads and turn the appliance off after the dishes are washed. And make sure to run it during off-peak hours before 4 p.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Keep your blinds and curtains open during the day and closed at night: During the day, let the sunlight and warmth in. When the sun goes down, close your blinds to keep the warm air in.
- Make sure your home is well-insulated: Without good home insulation, the hot air your natural gas heating system emits can escape through cracks, doors, windows, the attic and garage.
- Use water efficiently: Take shorter showers and wash clothes in cold water. Consider installing low-flow fixtures, insulating your hot water pipes and using a water heater timer.
Visit sdge.com/MyEnergy for more bill-saving and energy management resources.
NEED HELP WITH YOUR ENERGY BILL?
After the holidays can be a difficult time for many people financially. If you are having trouble paying your energy bill, you might be eligible for programs and services that can provide immediate financial assistance and help you avoid interruptions to your service. Flexible payment arrangements are also available to help you pay down past due balances. Learn more at sdge.com/Payment-Arrangements.
Check out these energy assistance programs:
- California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) Program: Save 30% or more every month on your bill. Find out if you qualify at sdge.com/CARE.
- Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) Program: If you don’t qualify for CARE and your household has 3 or more people, you may qualify for FERA. You could receive an 18% discount on your electric bill. Visit sdge.com/FERA to learn more.
- Energy Savings Assistance (ESA) Program: You may qualify to receive free energy-saving improvements for your home, like new appliances, lighting, insulation and more. Find details at sdge.com/ESA.
- Arrearage Management Plan (AMP): If you have outstanding bills and you are a CARE or FERA customer, you may be eligible for debt forgiveness. See if you qualify at sdge.com/AMP.
Even if you made a recent payment or set up a flexible payment plan with SDG&E, there may still be assistance programs available to help you. For a complete list of available offerings, visit sdge.com/assistance.
¿NECESITA AYUDA CON SU FACTURA DE ENERGÍA?
Usted puede calificar para un descuento en su factura o mejoras en el hogar. Hay programas de asistencia que pueden ayudar a reducir su factura mensual de energía mientras mantiene su hogar cómodo.
- Programa de Tarifas Alternativas de Energía de California (CARE, por sus siglas en inglés): Ahorre un 30% o más cada mes en su factura. Averigüe si califica en sdge.com/CAREesp.
- Tarifa Eléctrica Familiar (FERA, por sus siglas en inglés): Si no califica para CARE y su hogar tiene 3 o más personas, puede calificar para FERA. Podría recibir un 18% de descuento en su factura de electricidad. Visite sdge.com/FERAesp para obtener más información.
- Programa de Asistencia para el Ahorro de Energía (ESA, por sus siglas en inglés): Puede calificar para recibir mejoras gratuitas para el ahorro de energía en su hogar, tales como electrodomésticos nuevos, iluminación, aislamiento y más. Encuentre los detalles en sdge.com/ESAesp.
- Arrearage Management Plan (AMP): Si tiene facturas pendientes y es participante en el programa de CARE o FERA, puede ser elegible para la condonación de deudas. Averigüe si califica en sdge.com/AMPesp.
Las aplicaciones en línea son fáciles, rápidas y convenientes. Para obtener más información, visite sdge.com/asistencia.
SCHEDULE A FREE GAS APPLIANCES SAFETY CHECK THROUGH SDG&E
In the colder months, the use of natural gas appliances like water heaters, furnaces and ovens can go up. Schedule a free gas appliance check with SDG&E to make sure your appliances are working properly and efficiently to help keep gas bills lower. Getting your appliances inspected is a great way to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning too.
One of SDG&E’s gas technicians will come to your home or business to inspect your natural gas appliances. There are several complimentary services:
- Light and inspect gas pilot lights. Make sure pilot lights and burner flames are a clear blue.
- Check that gas appliances are operating safely and efficiently and not emitting carbon monoxide.
- Ensure gas furnaces are working properly and inspect the condition of the filter which improves the furnace’s heating ability.
Visit sdge.com/GasCheck for details. You can schedule your appointment at sdge.com/MyAccount or on SDG&E’s mobile app. When in My Account, select “Services,” “Services Overview” then “Gas Appliances Check.” If you’re in the app, select the “More” tab. From “Services,“ select “Gas Appliances Check.” If you are an NEM customer, make sure to select your gas account before scheduling an appointment.
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF NO-COST TRAINING FROM ENERGY EXPERTS
Did you know that SDG&E provides webinars for business owners and trade professionals, so you can learn new skills at your own pace? And most are at no cost. You or your employees can learn about the latest in green building practices, technology and energy-saving solutions from industry experts. Certifications and continuing education units are available for many classes. Check out the class listing at sdge.com/EnergyClasses.